Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: An 1845 period 46-key Wheatstone English system, with additional new features (Mainly the 46-Key variant of the'standard' 46-key layout) and showing the final stages of the progression to what may be called the "Standard" Wheatstone 46-key design. Four-fold green leather bellows with silk reinforced bottom bouts, early gilt 8-point star papers. Single depth combined action frame, with pans still fitting into a French cradle within the bellows-frame. Fine Rosewood fretwork, and normal ivory pinned keys to action.
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 336, with the "His Maj.." Label, in the ("C" under "mAj" variant). A 46-Key English. This instrument was made on 16th January 1929, and sold to Mrs Fisher on 20th January 1840.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 336. http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1046/PAGES/C2P0030S.HTM This instrument was made on 16th January 1929, and sold to Mrs West on 20th January 1840.
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: By His Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London.
System Type: 46-Key English
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-105.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.