Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: C Wheatstone No 2526 48-Key English system, No 2526, with the now standard "By HER Majesty's" label, and the many post-1848 design features introduced by Louis Lachenal during his time as Manager at Wheatstone's are now standard. The frets are machine-cut, with the reeds now in round-ended brass reed-frames, and the large annular pan-label bears Wheatstone & Co's address. Not in the Wayne Ledgers.
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 2526. 48-Key English system, No 2526, with the now standard "By HER Majesty's" label, and exhibiting all the post-1848 design features introduced by Louis Lachenal during his time as Manager at Wheatstone's Conduit St premises. The frets are now machine-cut, (and now have a bevelled edge to the fretworked ends, and in this instance, a paler, grainy rosewood) The reeds are now always in round-ended brass reed-frames, and the large annular pan-label bearing Wheatstone & Co's address. The "Silk-reinforced Bottom Bellows Bout" feature no longer appears. Not in the Wayne Ledgers.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 2526 http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: Not in the Ledgers
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: A later Wheatstone label, "C Wheatstone & Co, Manufacturers, 15, London W.C." (an early version of the West Street label).
System Type: 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-043.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.