Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: C Wheatstone No 6998. 48-Key English system, No 6998, with the now standard "By Her Majesty's" label, and exhibiting all the post-1848 design features introduced by Louis Lachenal. A "Budget" model, reverting to flat ends, though the pine baffles appear to have been replaced with an annular sub-fret baffle of this chamois, which bears the Dealers' label of H Keeling.The frets are now machine-cut.The reeds are now always in round-ended brass reed-frames, and the reed-tongues are secured by a large mild-steel single rivet, and the leatherwork on the bellows-frame and pan-dividers is of white smooth Chamois (these two features only used for a relatively short period). The large annular pan-label bears Wheatstone & Co's address, and full size and note details of each reed..
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 6998. 48-Key English system, No 6998, with the now standard "By Her Majesty's" label, and exhibiting all the post-1848 design features introduced by Louis Lachenal during his time as Manager at Wheatstone's Conduit St premises. The frets are now machine-cut.The reeds are now always in round-ended brass reed-frames, and the large annular pan-label bearing Wheatstone & Co's address.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 6998 http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: The serial number of 6998 is not in the Ledgers, but No 6997 was sold on July 4th 1856, and No 6999 was sold on October 1st 1856. The link www.concertina.com/calculator/index.htm indicates that the equivalent price for similarly-priced instruments in year 2000 would be £3,023.56
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: An oval dealer's label: "H Keeling Manufacturer and Teacher of the English Concertina, East Road, City Road, London"
System Type: 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-056.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.