Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: A Joseph Scates 48-Key English system, Serial Number 207. Several early features, with very narrow ivory keys with blue-stained flats and black-stained sharps, with an early pattern of annular mahogany"circular frets" with a tiny hole right in the centre (possible where the scribing-tool or compass marked out the boundaries of the annular ring of fretwork). ends. This is an early model with the dealer's label, both on instrument and in case-lid, of John Alvey Turner. Ivory keys, square-ended brass reeds with nickel-silver tongues. The action is of the "divided cylindrical brass pillar with pivot through" form. The name "J . Scates" is stamped on each reed pan. 4-fold green leather bellows with early gold-star papers and silk reinforced bottom bout. Original fine rosewood case.
Concertina Summary: A Joseph Scates 48-Key English system, Serial Number 207, with an early pattern of annular mahogany "circular frets", ends, an early model with the ear ly label of "Joseph Scates, Manufacturer, 32 New Bond Street, London". Ivory keys, square-ended brass reeds, 4-fold green leather bellows with early gold-star papers and silk reinforced bottom bout.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: Joseph Scates
Maker Links: Joseph Scates information at Chris Flint's web-site: http://www.scatesconcertinas.com/ (Chris Flint mentions that Scates's early instruments were also supplied to J Alvey Turner). Futher info at the Wes Williams Archive: www.concertinas.org.uk/others.htm#Scates
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: "Joseph Scates, Manufacturer, 32 New Bond Street, London".
System Type: Standard 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-161.
Joseph Scates, a former tuner with Wheatstone, was active in London approximately 1844 to 1850, and in Dublin from 1850 to
Joseph Scates set up sometime around 1844 at 40 Frith Street, Soho, London, the house of his father Joseph, who in 1839 ran a 'Stationer and Porteusian Bible Warehouse'. He moved to 32 New Bond St. from 1847-49, but quickly sold out to George Case and by 1851 had set up at Westmoreland Street in Dublin.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.