Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: Louis Lachenal 51-Key single-action Bass English concertina, No 11146. It is of "Stretched Octagon" profile, with well-figured rosewood ends, early "Louis Lachenal" label, brass reeds, pale yellow chamois pan leather, and vents to leather of bellows-frames. This rare model has unusual internal features and complex reed-pan construction., wherein the deep reed-pan is screwed to the inner face of the action board, and the reed frames are of long rectangular continental-style, screwed directly to the pan-face, and with two small steel rivets securing the brass tongues (which are of a slightly tapered profile!). Two of the trio of fret-securing screws are of extra-large 7mm diameter. Original "stretched Octagon" mahogany case, with original top strap, lock and key.
Concertina Summary: Louis Lachenal 51-Key single-action Bass English concertina, No 11146. Rosewood ends, Early "Louis Lachenal" label, brass reeds, yellow chamois pan leather, and with unusual internal features and complex reed-pan construction.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: Louis Lachenal
Maker Links: Concertina, Louis Lachenal No 11146 http://www.concertina.com/lachenal/index.htm - with a study of Production details & Serial Numbers here: http://www.concertina.com/chambers/lachenal-production/index.htm
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: Oval glazed paper label: "Louis Lachenal, patent Concertina Manufacturer, London"
System Type: 51-Key single-action Bass English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-292.
The Lachenal company made concertinas between 1858 and 1933.
Louis Lachenal, a Swiss engineer, started to work with Wheatstone in the early 1840s producing screws. By 1847 he was producing complete instruments for Wheatstone in his workshops. On expiry of Wheatstone's 1844 patent in 1858, Lachenal began to produce concertinas bearing his own name. He died in 1861, and the firm was then managed by his widow Elisabeth.
Elisabeth Lachenal passed on the company to a group of employees in 1872, and the company name was changed to Lachenal & Co.. In 1883 the company owners were Richard Ballinger, Louis Charrière, Thomas William Saunders, John Saunders, William Bywater Fisher, and Charles Crabb, with Charles Crabb (brother of John Crabb) retiring in that year. During the 1880s and 1890s various new concertina developments were introduced including The Maccann Duet, the Bowing Valve, the 12 sided Edeophone, and the Crane Duet, which was made by Lachenal for Crane of Liverpool. By 1907 Lachenal was completely owned by the Saunders family. During the late 1920s the company suffered economic problems, and finally closed in 1933.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.