Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: 48-Key English system, No 18209, with dealer label that reads "Manufactured for Chappell & Co, 50 New Bond Street, London. W.". This shows an acceptance by a dealer that he did NOT actually make the instrument! The instrument came with a Country Dance tunebook, in the Collection at: NC5.1.2-002. Rosewood ends, with Gilt embossed green leather bellows, silver-capped metal keys, one original gilt embossed thumb-strap, floral bellows papers, rosewood ends and original rosewood case. The reeds in this and later models are now always in round-ended brass reed-frames, and have the large annular pan-label with Louis Lachenal's name and "Lit James St" address - excised on this item. White leather sub-fret baffles. Original rosewood case.
Concertina Summary: Louis Lachenal 48-key English concertina, No 18209. Rosewood ends, with dealer label of "Chappell & Co, 50 New Bond Street, London. W.". Gilt embossed bellows, silver-capped metal keys, one original gilt embossed thumb-strap, floral bellows papers, rosewood ends and original rosewood case.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: Louis Lachenal
Maker Links: Concertina, Louis Lachenal, No 18209. http://www.concertina.com/lachenal/index.htm - with a study of Production details & Serial Numbers here: http://www.concertina.com/chambers/lachenal-production/index.htm
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: Oval glazed paper dealers label: "Manufactured for Chappell & Co, 50 New Bond Street, London. W.".
System Type: Standard 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-298.
The Lachenal company made concertinas between 1858 and 1933.
Louis Lachenal, a Swiss engineer, started to work with Wheatstone in the early 1840s producing screws. By 1847 he was producing complete instruments for Wheatstone in his workshops. On expiry of Wheatstone's 1844 patent in 1858, Lachenal began to produce concertinas bearing his own name. He died in 1861, and the firm was then managed by his widow Elisabeth.
Elisabeth Lachenal passed on the company to a group of employees in 1872, and the company name was changed to Lachenal & Co.. In 1883 the company owners were Richard Ballinger, Louis Charrière, Thomas William Saunders, John Saunders, William Bywater Fisher, and Charles Crabb, with Charles Crabb (brother of John Crabb) retiring in that year. During the 1880s and 1890s various new concertina developments were introduced including The Maccann Duet, the Bowing Valve, the 12 sided Edeophone, and the Crane Duet, which was made by Lachenal for Crane of Liverpool. By 1907 Lachenal was completely owned by the Saunders family. During the late 1920s the company suffered economic problems, and finally closed in 1933.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.