Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: Lachenal & Co No 41596. An unusual two-row 24+1-Key anglo concertina, label absent, - an unusual variant of the basic 20-key format. With the standard style of mahogany ends and fretwork that appears on the tens of thousands of basic 2- and 3-row anglo concertinas produced by Lachenal. The standard stamp of Lachenal's "Reed" trademark and "English Make" appears on the RH hand-bar. Mahogany ends, five-fold bellows, original RH strap, no case.
Concertina Summary: Lachenal & Co No 41596. An unusual two-row 24+1-Key anglo concertina, label absent, and with the standard style of mahogany ends and fretwork that appears on the tens of thousands of basic 2- and 3-row anglo concertinas produced by Lachenal. Mahogany ends, five-fold bellows, original RH strap, no case.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: Lachenal & Co.
Maker Links: Concertina, Lachenal & Co No 41596. A good source of information is at: http://www.concertina.com/lachenal/index.htm - with a study of Production details & Serial Numbers here: http://www.concertina.com/chambers/lachenal-production/index.htm
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: Label absent
System Type: 24 + 1 Key Anglo system - an unusual variant of the basic 20-key format.
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-304.
The Lachenal company made concertinas between 1858 and 1933.
Louis Lachenal, a Swiss engineer, started to work with Wheatstone in the early 1840s producing screws. By 1847 he was producing complete instruments for Wheatstone in his workshops. On expiry of Wheatstone's 1844 patent in 1858, Lachenal began to produce concertinas bearing his own name. He died in 1861, and the firm was then managed by his widow Elisabeth.
Elisabeth Lachenal passed on the company to a group of employees in 1872, and the company name was changed to Lachenal & Co.. In 1883 the company owners were Richard Ballinger, Louis Charrière, Thomas William Saunders, John Saunders, William Bywater Fisher, and Charles Crabb, with Charles Crabb (brother of John Crabb) retiring in that year. During the 1880s and 1890s various new concertina developments were introduced including The Maccann Duet, the Bowing Valve, the 12 sided Edeophone, and the Crane Duet, which was made by Lachenal for Crane of Liverpool. By 1907 Lachenal was completely owned by the Saunders family. During the late 1920s the company suffered economic problems, and finally closed in 1933.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.