Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: Lachenal & Co 48-key Baritone English "Edeophone" concertina, No 43551. A large "stretched-oval" profile to the ends. A very high quality 3-ply Ebony-veneer ended model, with intricate fretwork, original thumb- and later wrist-straps, new domed pattern silver-capped keys, bevelled-edged nickel finger-rests and strap-clasps. Inset oval engraved nickel label of "The Edeophone, Lachenal & Co., London, W.C.". No case
Concertina Summary: Lachenal & Co 48-key Baritone English "Edeophone" concertina, No 43551. A very high quality 3-Ply veneered, Ebony-ended model, with black leather bellows and straps, new pattern domed silver-capped keys. Inset oval engraved nickel label of "The Edeophone, Lachenal & Co". High gloss black leather bellows, No case.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: Lachenal & Co
Maker Links: Concertina, Lachenal & Co, No 43551. http://www.concertina.com/lachenal/index.htm - with a study of Production details & Serial Numbers here: http://www.concertina.com/chambers/lachenal-production/index.htm
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: Inset oval engraved nickel label of "The Edeophone, Lachenal & Co., London, W.C."
System Type: Standard 48-Key Edeophone Baritone English system.
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-305.
The Lachenal company made concertinas between 1858 and 1933.
Louis Lachenal, a Swiss engineer, started to work with Wheatstone in the early 1840s producing screws. By 1847 he was producing complete instruments for Wheatstone in his workshops. On expiry of Wheatstone's 1844 patent in 1858, Lachenal began to produce concertinas bearing his own name. He died in 1861, and the firm was then managed by his widow Elisabeth.
Elisabeth Lachenal passed on the company to a group of employees in 1872, and the company name was changed to Lachenal & Co.. In 1883 the company owners were Richard Ballinger, Louis Charrière, Thomas William Saunders, John Saunders, William Bywater Fisher, and Charles Crabb, with Charles Crabb (brother of John Crabb) retiring in that year. During the 1880s and 1890s various new concertina developments were introduced including The Maccann Duet, the Bowing Valve, the 12 sided Edeophone, and the Crane Duet, which was made by Lachenal for Crane of Liverpool. By 1907 Lachenal was completely owned by the Saunders family. During the late 1920s the company suffered economic problems, and finally closed in 1933.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.