Item Type: Concertina
Full Description: C Wheatstone No 22965. A first appearance of the early form of Wheatstone's "Ĉola", a high quality ebony-ended 48-Key English system, No 22965, from around 1896/98. Still with the "By Her Majesty's" label,the instrument has a new pattern of "Dot and Comma" ebony fretwork with chamfered edges. The blued-steel reeds are now in long-scale round-ended brass reed-frames with a return to two steel securing the tongues. There is now no annular pan-label. No Ledgers survive for this period. The serial number only appears on the LH sub-fret Chamois baffle, and other appearances are only of the "Batch Number" of the instrument, in this case "44". Still with the "By Her Majesty's" label. Machine-cut Mahogany frets in a new simple style, with chamfered edges. The Action contains a curved-topped brass sheet pillar with riveted pivot, and retains the brass-strip levers, broader at the Pivot. The blued-steel reed-tongues are now in long-scale round-ended brass reed-frames with a return to the use of two steel securing screws for the tongues. The top treble-reed pallets are of a smaller diameter than the lower notes. There is now no annular pan-label. A first appearance of a large oval RH label, adding the Conduit Street address to the serial number.
Concertina Summary: C Wheatstone No 22965. A first appearance of the early form of Wheatstone's "Ĉola", in the Six-sided form: it is a high quality ebony-ended 48-Key English system, No 22965, from around 1896/98. Still with the "By Her Majesty's" label, New pattern of "Dot and Comma" ebony fretwork with chamfered edges. The blued-steel reeds are now in long-scale round-ended brass reed-frames with a return to two steel securing the tongues. There is now no annular pan-label. No Ledgers survive for this period. The instrument's case contains a later Edition of Wheatstone & Co.'s Concertina Price List, and a sheet of family notes detailing which family members worked and embroidered "Dear Father's Concertina Ribbon" - the instrument's case contains one embroidered strap, and a black silk strap fitted to each strap of the instrument.
Owner or Collection: Concertina Museum, Belper
Maker: C Wheatstone
Maker Links: Concertina, Charles Wheatstone No 22965 http://www.concertina.com/wheatstone/index.htm
Wheatstone Ledgers Link: No Ledgers survive for this period: the last of the Wayne Ledgers is contained in an old Diary, but only lists instruments made up to serial number 21353, made on December 22nd 1891. The next Ledger in the Dickinson Series, lists instruments from Serial Number 25001, made in May 1910. For details of the Ledgers, visit www.horniman.info/. This instrument may date from 1896/8, still in the "20 Conduit Street" period.
Region of Manufacture: London
Main Maker's Label Wording: An original Wheatstone label, "By her Majesty's Letters Patent, C Wheatstone, Inventor, 20 Conduit Street, Regent Street, London".
Principal Serial Number: 22965. This serial number only appears on a large oval paper label, glued under within a large oval surround on the LH sub-fret Chamois baffle. It has the Wheatstone address around the number: "Wheatstone & Co., Patentees and - No 22965 - Manufacturers, 20 Conduit Street, London W." visible via a large oval Cartouche, unlike the smaller scalloped aperture on many previous models. Other parts only have the "Batch Number" of the instrument, in this case "44".
System Type: 48-Key Treble English system
Source Catalogue No: The Concertina Museum Collection Ref:C-081.
Wheatstone & Co. were founded in 1824, and survived until 1974. In 1975 the company was refounded by Steve Dickinson.
C. Wheatstone & Co was established in London, England by Charles Wheatstone (uncle to Sir Charles and William Dolman Wheatstone) at the beginning of the 19th Century. They moved to 20 Conduit Street, London, England in 1824. After the death of William in 1862, the firm was taken over by Edward Chidley, a distant relation. Edward Chidley died in 1899, and the firm was then controlled by his sons Edward and Percy. In 1905 the firm moved to 15 West Street.
After the death of the younger Edward Chidley in 1943, part of the firm was sold to Besson & Co., who were taken over by Boosey & Hawkes in 1948. In 1958 they moved to Duncan Terrace, Islington, North London. In 1961 the Duncan Terrace property was sold, and the remains of Wheatstone & Co. were moved to the Boosey & Hawkes factory in Edgware, Middlesex. The company ceased trading on the death of its last employee in 1974.
The remains of the company were purchased by Steve Dickinson in 1975.
Please email comments or reports of errors to
Created August 2009 by Neil Wayne
Last Modified 07 February 2012 by Neil Wayne, Chris Flint, Wes Williams
This page created Tuesday 14 February 2012.